The APG Secretariat consists of 15 permanent staff members as follows:
- Executive Secretary;
- Assistant Secretary;
- Principal Executive Officer I;
- Principal Executive Officer II;
- Principal Executive Officer III;
- Director, Technical Assistance and Training;
- Executive Officer I;
- Executive Officer II;
- Executive Officer III;
- Executive Officer IV;
- Executive Officer V;
- Policy Officer, Technical Assistance and Training;
- Policy Officer, Corporate Support;
- Policy Support Officer;
- Administrative Assistant.
The Secretariat is hosted by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) on behalf of the Australian government and its offices are located in the central business district of Sydney, Australia.
Role and Responsibilities of the Secretariat
The Secretariat's general responsibilities include:
- Supporting the governance framework of the APG, including Co-Chairs and Steering Group;
- Providing secretariat services to and serving as a focal point for the APG;
- Coordinating and leading AML/CFT mutual evaluations of APG members;
- Implementing the APG's technical assistance and training (TA & T) strategy including the effective coordination of those services with donors and providers;
- Providing expertise and research on money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation financing in relation to weapons of mass destruction as well as other emerging issues to members and interested persons and organisations;
- Organising and conducting the APG's Annual Meeting and other inter-sessional meetings, such as Project Working Groups, the Implementation Issues Working Group and the Ad Hoc Working Group on FATF Standards;
- Preparing, conducting and chairing the Annual Typologies Workshop for law enforcement and finance sector specialists to analyse and share information on methods, trends and case studies, and to conduct projects on emerging typologies;
- Reporting to APG members at Annual Meetings and Working Groups;
- Attending FATF Plenary meetings as an Associate Member and liaising regularly with the FATF Secretariat;
- Participating in the FATF's Asia/Pacific Regional Review Group on International Cooperation;
- Providing advice and information to, and linkages between, international and regional agencies (especially financial, legal and law enforcement agencies) on money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation financing matters;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with relevant international and regional organisations, including the UN, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Asian Development Bank, Egmont Group, OECD, APEC, Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, ASEAN, the Group of International Finance Centre Supervisors and other similar bodies to advance the APG's strategic goals;
- Providing information and education to private sector agencies, including Universities and other tertiary education institutions, in relation to the global AML/CFT standards under the APG's private sector outreach programme.
In discharging these responsibilities, the Secretariat supports approximately 400 delegates from its 41 members and 35 observers (jurisdictions and international organisations), as well as providing policy and administrative support to Working Groups and other committees/projects groups.
Dr Gordon Hook, Executive Secretary
The APG Executive Secretary is Dr Gordon Hook who practiced criminal law in Canada and with the government of New Zealand. In New Zealand his work included AML/CFT and anti-corruption policy with the Ministry of Justice as the Manager, Criminal and International Law. Gordon Hook is a Barrister and Solicitor of the Manitoba Queen's Bench (Canada) and the High Court of New Zealand. He has a LLB from Dalhousie University (Canada) and a PhD (Law) from Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand.
For further information about the Secretariat or to enquire about careers with the APG please contact the offices using the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.
Click on the "Documents" heading to the left and follow the links to download copies of the APG's Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plan.