At the APG's first Annual Meeting in Tokyo, Japan (March 1998) the membership established two Co-Chairs:
- A chair held by Australia (as host of the Secretariat); and
- A rotating chair occupied for a two-year term by another APG member.
The current Co-Chairs are Deputy Commissioner Leanne Close (Australia) and Sri Lanka as follows:
Deputy Commissioner Leanne Close (Australia) - appointed 2015
Deputy Commissioner Leanne Close APM joined the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in 1986 and currently holds the position of Deputy Commissioner Operations. Her current role encompasses management of more than 2600 staff, including Crime Operations, Serious and Organised Crime, and International Operations, as well as office mentor to Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide.
Deputy Commissioner Close has held a number of different positions in the AFP during her career including working in the Sydney Office from 1986 to 1996 investigating a range of Commonwealth offences involving major frauds and serious drug importations. She also worked in the AFP College in Canberra for six years. In 2002, she moved to ACT (Australian Commonwealth Territory) policing in which she performed several leadership roles. In early 2009, she was appointed as National Manager Protection and promoted to the rank of Assistant Commissioner. She has also held the positions of National Manager Human Resources and National Manager Aviation, prior to her promotion to her current role.
In 2005, Deputy Commissioner Close was awarded the Australian Police Medal (APM).
Deputy Commissioner Close holds a Masters of Educational Leadership and two Graduate Certificates in Professional Development Education and Applied Management. She was appointed APG Co-Chair in July 2015.
Sri Lanka - appointed 2016
Sri Lanka was formally endorsed at the APG's 16th Annual Meeting as the Co-Chair for 2016-2018. Sri Lanka has already hosted a number of APG workshops and meetings including the Annual Typologies Workshop in 2008 and will host an Annual Meeting during its two-year term as Co-Chair.
Further details of the Sri Lankan Co-Chair will be posted soon.
Previous rotating Co-Chairs have come from the following APG members:
- Philippines, Department of Foreign Affairs, 1998-2000;
- Malaysia, Central Bank of Malaysia, 2000-2002;
- Korea, Korea Financial Intelligence Unit, 2002-2004;
- Japan, Japan Financial Intelligence Office, Financial Services Agency, 2004-2006;
- Indonesia, Indonesian Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre, 2006-2008;
- Singapore, Commercial Affairs Department, 2008-2010;
- India, Directorate of Enforcement, 2010-2012;
- China, Anti-Money Laundering Bureau of the People’s Bank of China, 2012-2014;
- New Zealand, Ministry of Justice, 2014-2016.
Future Co-Chair, 2018-2020: Bangladesh
Bangladesh was formally endorsed by the APG Membership out-of-session in September 2014 as the Co-Chair for 2018-2020. Bangladesh hosted the 13th APG Typologies Workshop in 2010 and has hosted a number of other APG workshops. Bangladesh will host an Annual Meeting during its two-year term as Co-Chair.